Advocacy – Urban Capacity Building (UCB) Associate
Improving quality-of-life in urban areas is the vision that drives Janaagraha. Good Urban Governance; Effective Urban Management; and Active Citizenship are the key outcomes that Janaagraha seeks to promote.
Janaagraha’s Urban Capacity Building Programme (UCB-P) works toward designing; developing; deploying; facilitating; and, thereby, establishing apt learning events for key stakeholders including champions and change-agents from all walks of life – who can positively influence broad-based and sustainable urban development.
The UCB Programme was launched in August 2011. This programme has 3 components viz UCB-Administrators; UCB-Citizens & Civil Society Organisations; and UCB-Elected Representatives. At present The programme is a part of the Advocacy Cluster of Janaagraha.
A key milestone for the UCB programme has been the MoU signed with the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) to provide knowledge management resource augmentation support for the Urban Modules organised during the phased trainings of officers of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS). This is the focus of UCB-P’s work at present.
In future UCB-P’s mandate would also cover:
- developing input streams – delivered online – to alert and encourage citizens to become engaged in civic matters; and
- designing training and facilitating its delivery for elected representatives to effect community participation and public disclosure in the urban context.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
- Creating a comprehensive body of knowledge on the real issues, challenges & problems of urbanisation to be delivered online as well as offline;
- Ideating for advocating rational, equitable, scientific and technological measures / solutions to effectively deal with these issues problems and challenges;
- Sensitising, enabling, empowering key stakeholders (individual / institutional) through customised inputs for developing their pertinent capacities; and
- Creating opportunities for individual / community action on-the-ground to better the general and particular civic situation;
- Supporting program coordinator / manager on program and organisational priorities that emerge from time to time;
- Anchoring a small team interns / volunteers (where need be);
- Coordinating with Programme Project teams within Janaagraha – as and when necessary to reinforce the organisation’s functioning and performance.
- understanding of organising trainings
- familiarity with harnessing technology especially online platforms for delivering relevant and current knowledge
- skills of essential computing and communication (with the help of widely used technologies);
- necessary research-related; analytical and communication (written and spoken) skills.
- passion for contributing to social causes along with an open mind and a strong urge to learn;
- ability to analyse; assimilate; communicate concepts and to abstract them to apply to real-life situations;
- sensitivity to working in a multi-cultural environment;
- earnestness and discipline to meet deadlines.
- ability to balance academic and research pursuits with grassroots / citizen-facing initiatives.
- ability work and deliver tight deadlines and with wide variety of internal and external stakeholders such as citizen groups, administrators, vendors and external consultants.
- knack to work independently and / or with a team; and
Qualifications / Experience:
- A graduate / post-graduate degree in the fields of public policy, development studies, social sciences or other equivalent field.
- 2-4 years of experience in capacity building, policy research, advocacy and program implementation.
Candidates from non-mainstream academic backgrounds, with a passion for urban transformation and willingness and ability to learn quickly would also be considered.
- Basic knowledge of the Indian Constitutional provisions relating to federalism, democratic institutions, local self governments, legislative processes and good practices in this regard in India and in other countries – specific to urban.
What’s in it for you:
An opportunity to:
- Utilize your skills, abilities to deal with a key developmental challenge: Urbanisation
- Work for one of a kind organization working on scientific innovative solutions to the problems of urban governance & management
- Work with a diverse, competent and professional team
- take risks , innovate and work alongside a wide network of urban experts and thinkers